- At Toronto Flag we are committed to protecting your privacy, and maintain a general policy of openness about how we collect, use and secure the personal information of individuals who use this website. This Statement reflects the requirements of Canada’s Federal and Provincial privacy legislation as well as our commitment to protecting your personal information.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- The personal information Toronto Flag may collect about you includes your contact information, including an online name & neighbourhood of residence, zip/postal code, e-mail address and demographic information.
- In general, we collect, use and disclose personal information so that we can safely operate this Site.
- From time to time, we may ask you to provide us with more detailed information and we will inform you as to why we are collecting it. It will be entirely up to you as to whether you choose to share this information with us.
- We may also retain any communications you send us, including e-mail messages and responses we send you.
A SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT CHILDREN
Children (persons under the age of 18) are not eligible to use the site unsupervised and we ask that children do not submit any personal information to us. If you are under the age of 18, you may only use this Site in conjunction with and under the supervision of your parents or guardians.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Upon sharing your personal information on the Site, your information is stored in a database. We do not share, sell or trade your information to any third party. Your information is used solely by Toronto Flag:
- to verify the validity of your e-mail address and identity;
- to communicate with you regarding information you submit to the site;
- to research, develop, manage, protect and improve those communications;
- to advise you about companies offering new products and services that may be of interest to you; and
- to develop and maintain our relationship with you and communicate with you.
In addition, from time to time, we may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- to detect and protect Toronto Flag and third parties against error, fraud, theft and other illegal activity, and to audit compliance with Toronto Flag policies and contractual obligations;
- to understand your needs and preferences, including to contact and communicate with you and to conduct surveys, research and evaluations;
- for any other purpose we may indicate to you from time to time.
THE CIRCUMSTANCES IN WHICH WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Except with your consent and as set out below, we will not sell, license, trade or rent your personal information to or with others.
- Toronto Flag reserves the right to disclose personal information to a third party if a law, regulation, search warrant, subpoena or court order legally requires or authorizes us to do so.
- Toronto Flag also reserves the right to disclose and/or transfer personal information to a third party in the event of a proposed or actual purchase, sale (including a liquidation, realization, foreclosure or repossession), lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, transfer, conveyance or financing of all or any portion of Toronto Flag or of any of the business or assets or shares of Toronto Flag or a division thereof in order for you to continue to receive the services provided by this Site from the third party. In all of the foregoing cases however, we will first obtain appropriate non-disclosure agreements and covenants from the third party.
KNOWLEDGE AND CONSENT
- Toronto Flag COLLECTS PERSONAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU ONLY WHEN YOU VOLUNTARILY PROVIDE IT. Typically, we will seek consent for the use or disclosure of your personal information at the time of collection. In certain circumstances, consent may be sought after the information has been collected but before use (for example, when we want to use information for a purpose not previously identified).
- The form of consent that we seek, including whether it is express or implied, will largely depend on the sensitivity of the personal information and the reasonable expectations of the individual in the circumstances.
- You may withdraw consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. If you wish to withdraw your consent at any time, please contact us. If you refuse or withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide you or continue to provide you with certain services or information that may be of value to you.
- We will not require you to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of information beyond that required to fulfill the explicitly specified and legitimate purposes for which the information is being provided.
ADVERTISING TO CHILDREN
Toronto Flag does not knowingly direct our advertising at children under the age of 13, except as permitted by law.
USE OR DISCLOSURE FOR MARKETING, ADVERTISING AND SPONSORSHIP PURPOSES
We may also use (but will not disclose) your personal information to promote and market additional goods, services and special offers from affiliates, our sponsors, including by means of direct marketing and us. To ensure advertisers understand who our subscribers are and what they are interested in, we will compile your information and create general profiles of our subscribers' demographic information and interests. However, we will never share any PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE information with our advertisers. In cases of sponsorship where you have opted-in (chosen to accept communications from sponsor) we will compile your information and provide it to the indicated sponsor.
WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Toronto Flag makes all commercially reasonable efforts to ensure that personal information collected from you is protected against loss and unauthorized access. This protection applies in relation to information stored in both electronic and hard copy form. Access to your personal information is restricted to selected employees or representatives. In addition, Toronto Flag employs appropriate information security techniques to protect personal information against loss and unauthorized access.
- Toronto Flag educates all its employees on the importance of privacy. It is Toronto Flag’s policy to give access to personal information only to those employees who require it to carry out the responsibilities of their jobs or to other such third parties with similar designated responsibilities and who are subject to contractual confidentiality restrictions with Toronto Flag.
LINKS TO THIRD-PARTY SITES
RETENTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Toronto Flag retains your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose(s) for which it was collected and to comply with applicable laws. When that need has ended, your personal information will be removed from our system and destroyed in a manner that ensures your security.
CONTROL OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
At Toronto Flag, we want you to be able to maintain control over how we use your personal information. You will always have the option to instruct us not to use your name, online name, neighbourhood of residence, e-mail address, postal code, etc. Additionally, e-mail communications will always include an identification of the sender and an "Unsubscribe" option. Should you wish to unsubscribe at any time, you may instruct us to immediately do so by clicking on the link provided.
USER GENERATED CONTENT SOCIAL POLICY (“UGC POLICY”)
If you are a “customer”, “follower” of, or otherwise voluntarily engage with Toronto Flag by emailing, posting, sharing, directly messaging, uploading or otherwise submitting photographs, graphics, videos, messages, feedback, comments or other forms of media or user-generated content (collectively "User Generated Content") on any Toronto Flag website, page, profile, or feed (collectively referred to herein as “Page”) of any social media platform (“Platform”) (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Blog et al.) (collectively referred to herein as "Posts(s)"), or making any personal statement through a Post or otherwise in any media/medium which endorses Toronto Flag products or services (“Endorsement”), this User Generated Content Social Policy (referred to as “UGC Policy”) applies to you. Furthermore, you agree that all parties displayed within the content are made aware of and are in agreement with the submission. If at any time you do not comply with this UGC Policy, Toronto Flag reserves the right to restrict your use of or access to Toronto Flag’s Pages at its sole discretion without prior notice, including any other legal or contractual remedies that may be available. For the purpose of this UGC Policy, anyone who interacts in any manner with any Toronto Flag Page is considered a “User”.
If you tag your Post (a) by commenting with one of our promoted hashtags (e.g., #TorontoFlag or any other associated hashtags with Toronto Flag); (b) by tagging "Toronto Flag” in the Post; or (c) by sending us comments, feedback or messages, you agree to the following:
You consent to being 14+ years old and grant to Toronto Flag the irrevocable, non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty free, worldwide right (but not the obligation), to (1) use, copy, perform, reproduce, edit, modify, display, broadcast, distribute, prepare derivative works of (or incorporate into other works), and otherwise exploit the Post (or any portion thereof) in any form, manner or media now or hereafter known including but not limited to posting or reposting the Post across Toronto Flag’s digital properties (e.g., on Toronto Flag’s branded websites, blogs and social media pages) and using the Post for commercial purposes including online and in-store marketing, advertising, and publicity and (2) use your name, image, likeness, influence, and username/handle in association with, or to reference the fact of, your Post to the extent in which you include such information in your Post. To the fullest extent permitted by law, you understand and agree that you fully waive any moral rights in the Post in favour of Toronto Flag, will not have any right to review or approve Toronto Flag’s usage of the Post, the Post will not be returned to you, and you will not be paid or otherwise compensated for Toronto Flag’s use of your submitted Post. Aside from the rights specifically outlined within the Policy, you retain ownership of all rights to your Post.
You understand that you may be associated and exposed to other Posts that you find offensive, indecent or otherwise objectionable. You understand and acknowledge that providers of interactive computer services shall not be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider. Posts may be removed by Toronto Flag at any time and for any reason. The rights to Toronto Flag’s information may be protected by patent, copyright, trademark, trade secrets or other proprietary rights owned by a third party other than Toronto Flag. Additionally, certain content displayed and contained within Toronto Flag Pages is the original authorship of Toronto Flag and is owned exclusively by Toronto Flag. By being a User of or by Posting on any of Toronto Flag’s Pages, you acknowledge that you may not modify, publish, transmit, display, copy, participate in the transfer or sale, create derivative works, or in any way exploit any of the content found, whether owned by Toronto Flag or a third party, other than as provided herein.
You may request the removal of your Post if you feel the Pages violate the UGC Policy. If the Pages do not violate this UGC Policy, we will not take any action. If we do believe that the Pages do violate this UGC Policy, we may take any action in our sole discretion, including but not limited to one or more of the following actions:
- Review or change the post in question; or
- Delete the Post in question
Please send your request to email@example.com for support.
ACCESS TO, CORRECTING OR UPDATING YOUR INFORMATION
- If you request access to your personal information, subject to certain exceptions, Toronto Flag will inform you of the existence, use and disclosure of your personal information and will provide you with a summary of that information. If Toronto Flag determines not to provide you access to your personal information, we will provide an explanation.
- You can help us maintain the accuracy of your personal information by notifying us of any changes to this information. You may contact Toronto Flag in any one of the following ways to request access to or correction or update of your personal information:
5255 Yonge Street